I am back after such a long break!
Its so cold out here in Seattle and a cup of adrak chai with bakery biscuits is just perfect to start the Sunday morning. These biscuits are sweet and salty at the same time and cumin gives them a heavenly aroma. Crumb is just perfect and texture is soft. And the most important thing- they are eggless. Mine got finished within minutes of getting out of the oven 🙂
Please scroll down for the recipe.
- Cumin seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- Ajwain seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Sugar – 1/3 cup
- Butter – 8 tablespoon or 1 stick, cold
- All purpose flour – 1.5 cups
- Semolina – 1/4 cup
- Baking Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Baking soda – 1/4 teaspoon
- Milk – 1-3 tablespoon
- Cooking oil – 3 tablespoon
- Dice the cold butter into cubes.
- Mix together flour, semolina, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a bowl. Add the diced butter to it and mix with hands or use a food processor. The mixture should be crumbly.
- Add the oil and start kneading the dough. Keep adding the milk little by little until the dough comes together. It will be soft and sticky.
- Divide the dough into two parts and shape into logs. Cover both the logs with cling wrap and keep in the refrigerator for an hour.
- After an hour, preheat the oven to 325 F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Take out the logs from refrigerator and slice them into cookies of 1/4 inch thickness. Do not cut the cookies too thick since they won’t get cooked properly. If cut more thinly, cookies will take less time to cook. Try to cut cookies with even width.
- Place the cookies on the cookie sheet at least 2 inch apart from each other. Cookies will swell and expand inside the oven.
- Bake them for 20 minutes on one side. Take out and carefully flip the cookies and then bake again for 5 minutes.
- Store them in an air tight container and they will be good to use for 2 weeks. But, I am pretty sure that they won’t last that long as well. Enjoy them with hot ginger tea 🙂
Recipe inspired from http://sinfullyspicy.com/